How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a car from a lady and she lost the title and I went

Customer Question

I bought a car from a lady and she lost the title and I went to dnv they sent her a letter out with my information to get in touch with me or dnv how can I get a title
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Ok how do I do that
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No I just need to get a title for car
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

The easiest, and most efficient way to deal with this situation is to have the seller apply to the DMV for a "duplicate title" - there will be a small fee and she can get the new title, then sign it over to you.

Make sure that the sale draft is in writing, and that you send her the request for the duplicate title in writing so that the transfer of title can be made due to her lack of title in writing. Keep copies of all of these for your records.

However, if she refuses to do this for you (she has an obligation to do so - she sold you a car she has an obligation to provide clean title), then you can sue her for "breach of contract" and ask the court to issue a judgment giving you title to the car.

You can explain to her that you are not asking her for any money in the lawsuit, but you must have the judgment to get the title.

(Most people when they learn that they will be sued, will go ahead and get you that duplicate title so you can get your title, and then get the vehicle registered properly).