How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 9413
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am leasing a property which I was going to buy. The owners

Customer Question

I am leasing a property which I was going to buy. The owners have now advised me that I will lose my $15K deposit and that they have the right to do a walk through the property even thought my rent is paid until the 30yh of June. They have advised that they are going to resell the property tomorrow. What rights do I have as a tenant please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Do you have a written agreement that they are selling you the property? If so, please describe the agreement. What was the $15,000 deposit for?

In which State is the property located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property is located in bountiful Utah. It was a lease to purchase option. I paid $15K for the deposit of the home and had until 5pm yesterday to close. The loan came through but they wanted me to pay a lien as well of $10K that my ex husband had owed to the ORS. I refused to pay a debt which was not mine so they have taken back the home and said I have no rights. That they are going to put the house on the market and are demanding a walk through the home today at 5pm MDT. I have paid the mortgage payments of the home of $1850 per month and I am paid up until the 30th of June. What are my rights as a tenant now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from anyone so I am quite disappointed and would like my money back thank you!
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay, but please understand that I cannot be here 24 hours a day.

Because you have a written contract, you can sue for specific performance of the contract, and record a notice of pending action that will make the property unmarketable to anyone else.

The sellers had no right to add any new terms to the agreement, which seems like that is what they tried to to do by demanding that you pay the debt of you ex-huusband.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local real estate attorneys listed here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.