How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 Years Practice in Litigation, Products Liability, Intellectual Property and Governmental Relations
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My domestic partner and I share ownership home. She was in

Customer Question

My domestic partner and I share ownership home. She was in involved in some ligation with her previous husband in a divorce issue. Judge sided with the other side and she had to pay his attorney fees for violating a no contact order. The attorney immediately went and placed a lien on the home we own without ever discussing any ever discussing any payment or option. This happen in the state of KY. I no it's a long shot but what can be done sine this now affects me as well.
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She has her won attorney but since I am a part owner I wanted to know my options
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My Partner is disabled
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

This is the unfortunate consequence of dual ownership of property. When a lien in placed on the property, it affects both of the owners (or all of the owners as the case may be). You can potentially file a dec action as a third party in the suit to have your portion of the property separated out, or you can deed your interest in the property to her to get away from the lien. There are certain pitfalls to both courses of action and the dec action likely would fail (a dec action is seeking a declaratory judgment from a court on a specific issue within a larger case).

So, the only remaining option is to help her pay off whatever amount she owes in court costs to have the lien lifted off our your property.

I wish there was better answer for you, but this is a very tight spot to be in from a legal perspective with very little wiggle room.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings interface on your end so I can receive credit for my response.

Best wishes and thank you!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions or concerns? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible with this issue and the answer. Thanks