Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I received a call from American Cash Sweepstakes stating

Customer Question
that I was a winner...
I received a call from American Cash Sweepstakes stating that I was a winner of $2.5 million. Then they asked me to call the Federal Reserve Bank and speak to a ***** ***** at extension 101. Mr. Gonzales then went on to explain to me about the Registration of check and Certificate of Authentication. Well all this costs money. About $3000. Then that the IRS WOULD TAKE $300,000. Then I would be left with $2.2 million. I will have to call Me. Gonzalez btomorrow morning before 9:00 am. He said he was in Washington state. What do i do?
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't contacted a lawyer yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No. I can't afford the money they are asking for.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/11/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is Bill.

The company that called you is a fraud, they are trying to get you to send them money to defraud you.

This is a common scam (see: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0086-international-lottery-scams)

Your best option here is to contact your local police department (they probably will not be able to catch these criminals, but if you don't make a report, the police are guaranteed not to catch them).

You can also make a report to your state Attorney General's Office (there is an online forum - you say they claim to be in WA (although it is doubtful that they actually are), here is the WA AG link: http://www.atg.wa.gov/FileAComplaint.aspx), you can find your own state's AG link by searching in your internet browser for:
"[YOUR STATE] Attorney General Consumer Complaints"

(If you cannot find your AG site, please let me know what state you are living in and I will send you the appropriate link).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer