How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband who has never used my handicap placard, did use

Customer Question

My husband who has never used my handicap placard, did use it at a store and even parked in the cross-hatch because he didn't know he couldn't (probably only saw blue). He was given two tickets totaling almost $800 and my placard was confiscated. I was unaware that he used the placard (since he never has without me being in the car). We paid the fines, but can I get my placard back. Do I need to send in another application, or can you suggest what I can do for the return/reissuance of it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was your husband also arrested and criminally charged for the misuse of the handicapped placard?

Also, did your husband plead guilty to the violation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he wasn't - he was given 2 tickets for fines totaling $700 + which we paid. My placard was confiscated. I need it. I wasn't with him when used it and was not aware he used it.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

It is important to realize that misuse of a handicap placard can also be charged as a misdemeanor crime punishable by up to 6 months in jail, so it is a serious matter.

Generally, in similar cases, when a placard was confiscated for misuse and the person charged with misuse plead guilty, the disabled person would have to appear at the local Department of Motor Vehicle and request another tag and in most cases a hearing would be held to determine whether the disabled person had any knowledge of misuse or allowed someone else to have possession of the handicap placard and a decision would be made by DMV whether to re-issue another permit.

It is generally important to bring any related evidence and also medical certification from the doctor certifying that the disabled person is still in need of the handicap placard and also it would be a good idea to hire a local attorney to represent you at a hearing at the Department of Motor Vehicle and this local attorney can make sure that you are properly represented and would help obtain favorable result.

I wish you the best of luck!

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions