Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

My children and I are training with the American Taekwondo

Customer Question
Hi Pearl! My children and...
Hi Pearl! My children and I are training with the American Taekwondo Association (ATA). My son started training in 2006, my daughter and I joined in 2013.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: We used to live in Arizona. My son's contract was an initial 3 year contract that has a clause embedded with a renewal fee of $50. We had switched schools within Arizona twice and each school accepted the initial contract. When my daughter and I joined, the terms of my son's contract were transferred to the new contracts as well. A year ago, however, we moved to New Jersey. The school owner told me initially that our contracts will be accepted and transferred. As I had paid for the year in full, I was not charged any additional payments. Now as our annual renewal comes up, he asks me to sign a new contract for 24 months @ 185/month. I feel this to be not right that he accepted and trained us under our old contracts for the past 12 months and now requires me to pay 370/month for my children (3rd person is free) instead of our initial renewal rate of 100/month for both contracts combined. Is that legally correct? Please help!!
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not. It literally just came up
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: We had a second contract for an instructor training program. I had paid so far 3,600 on as explained to me for testing fees. The owner of the new school was very clear that he runs the instructor program differently and did not allow us to train in that program. So for the past year, we trained under the regular program but not the additional instructor program.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/9/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I understand your position but when there is a renewal comes the parties have a right to change terms unless the contract says explicitly says renewal cost is only $100. You can choose not to renew but I am not seeing enough here to gile a lawsuit over.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer