How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3991
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I placed a check fraud on October last year and CHASE TOld

Customer Question

I placed a check fraud on October last year and CHASE TOld me that they were going to reimburse my money. They never did
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Please bear with me while I verify somethings for you.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

When the bank fails to rectify a fraud situation your best bet is to file a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller. The OCC has regulatory authrity over how the bank handles thse situations.

You can file a complaint with the OCC through the following link:

You can also bring a private action against the bank, but unless the check was for a substantial amount the time and money invested in the action would not warrant it.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check for $ 2700
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any difference
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the additional information.

$2,700.00 is a significant amount of money, but not enough to involve an attorney. You can sue the bank yourself in Small Claims Court. You can also file the complaint. You can do both.

Under the UCC Sections 3-403(a) and 4-401(a), a bank can charge items against a customer's account only if they are "properly payable" and the check is signed by an authorized individual. So this is what you will raise.

The clerk of the court should have the forms that you need.

See this article:

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions