How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4004
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am lawyer, attempting to collect a debt, do I need to use

Customer Question

I am lawyer, attempting to collect a debt, do I need to use FDPA language in my demand letter? What if it's an oral contract, so my client has no written prove.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist. If the property is landlocked, it doesn't matter if the owners/occupants of that piece of property have the other owner's permission to enter. The easement exists as a matter of law, as an easement of necessity. Therefore, it cannot be terminated as long as the easement provides the only reasonable access to the landlocked property. I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide. Good luck! Best,Attorney 1
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. This posted to the wrong page.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

At one time attorneys were exempt from the restrictions of the FDCPA. No longer. Under amendments to the Act in 1986

attorneys can be a debt collector under 15 U.S.C. §1692a(6) unless they qualify for one of the statutory exemptions.

Under the Act: "any person who uses any instrumentality of interstate commerce or the mails in any business the principal purpose of which is the collection of any debts, or who regularly collects or attempts to collect, directly or indirectly, debts owed or due or asserted to be owed or due another."

Even before the amendment it was common practice for law firms specializing in collections to adhere to the provisions of the Act.

I do not see why the fact that the debt is based on an oral contract should alter your practice.

This is a good go to guide for the FDCPA:,d.dmo

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Consumer Protection Law Questions