How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A person says I owe them money. They take me to small claims

Customer Question

A person says I owe them money. They take me to small claims court for 3000 dollars. I don't owe this person or his company any money. They didn't provide service's as agreed. Now they are suing for 3000 dollars. We never had a signed contract on the deal either. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The law allows a person to sue someone else when they believe they are owed money. The law also allows you to defend yourself. The notice you received should have a date on it, telling you when to appear in court. On that day, you'll go in and explain to the judge why you don't owe the money. If the other party didn't provide the services you agree to pay them for, that's a defense. You're allowed to bring in any evidence you have that they didn't uphold their end of the bargain: emails from them, texts from them, pictures, testimony from witnesses who are familiar with the transaction, etc.

Also check with the courthouse in the county where the case was filed to see if they have forms you can use to file a written answer before you go to court. The notice you received should give you a deadline for doing that.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions