How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34441
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a bill from 19 years ago that was at the Medical

Customer Question

Hi I had a bill from 19 years ago that was at the Medical College of Wisconsin BRuck law offices garnished my wages. Is this legal for such an old debt? Further the amount they are garnishing for is 104.00
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: 1400.00 sprru
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have paid off all but 715.00 of this debt. I was willing to make payment arrangements to pay it off but they absolutely refused to work with me at all
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: IF the SOL is six months how can they come after me after nineteen years?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
If the creditor obtained a court judgment against you then the statute of limitations for enforcing the judgment is, in fact, 20 yrs in accordance with the Wisconsin statutes. That time starts running from the date the order of judgment is entered by the court.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not  a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
BTW, here is the Wisconsin statute:
893.40  Action on judgment or decree; court of record. Except as provided in ss. 846.04 (2) and (3) and 893.415, action upon a judgment or decree of a court of record of any state or of the United States shall be commenced within 20 years after the judgment or decree is entered or be barred.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.