How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I authorize a credit card payment over the phone in the

Customer Question

I authorize a credit card payment over the phone in the amount of 650.00, The merchant actually charged $6500.00. I filed a dispute with the credit card company but the dispute was denied. What can I do leagally
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation, and I am surprised that your credit card carrier refused to assist you.

However, to deal with the problem you can file a civil lawsuit against the merchant for breach of contract to recover the funds.

You can sue in Georgia (where the contract occurred) or in the state where the merchant is located.

Fortunately, Georgia has a very high limit for small claims court ($15,000.00), so you can take advantage of this relatively informal court and sue there. This link to the GA state website gives you information on how to sue in small claims court in that state (along with forms):

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions