How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33738
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having problem with this dealership. They won't give me

Customer Question

I am having problem with this dealership. They won't give me my contract for the purchase I made
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I did but he won't proceed without a copy of the contract
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: It is a long story. I'm trying to get my deposit back for a car that I payed for more than it was listed. But to get this started a contract copy is required. So I"m stuck
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: In Brooklyn New York and the car I bought is 2007 infiniti g35x
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Consumer Protection Lawyer should know?
Customer: The car did not meet the standards of sale as promised. I live in MA. So I drive almost 5 hours to new York after seeing this ad on their website for call priced 8999. I call to confirm price and they tell me that is the actual price. So I drive all the way to New york and then they tell me the car is 15000
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can try reporting them to the Attorney General in your state but I've never seen much come of that.

What you're going to have to do is have a lawyer file the lawsuit and then they can subpoena all of the records. The lawyer may want to charge you to file the initial lawsuit instead of taking the case on a % basis until they get to see the contract but only a court can FORCE someone to give you a document.