Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

My parent purchased burial lots in San Diego, CA many years

Customer Question

My parent purchased burial lots in San Diego, CA many years ago. My Mother didn't want to be buried there since she lived miles away now so I inherited her plot. I would like to sell the plot but the cemetery says I have to pay a certain amount to have it transferred to my name and they want to give me the price paid which was under $200. at the time of purchase. Since it would cost many times more than that today I think I should be able to sell it for the going rate. What are the legalities of this?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

What this company is telling you sounds absurd. Cemetery property is still property and comes with a deed. The deed conveys ownership and the property can be sold at any price the owner can get for it. There are even cemetery plot r brokers that can help with the process when an owner does not want to individually conduct the sale.

The cemetery may offer to buy back the property from you at a lesser price than you would like. That does not obligate you to sell it to them, and is only one option available to you. If the cemetery is offering you a price of $200 for the plot, you can almost certainly do exponentially better on your own.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

If there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know. I'm here to help.

Best,

Attorney 1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the valuable information. One more question if you don't mind. They also tell me I have to pay $80. to have the deed transferred to my name. Seems to me I could just sell it and have the transfer take place even if I have to pay some amount for it otherwise I'll have to travel a good way just to have it transferred. Can you tell me if this is necessary? Also where would I find a real estate person to handle this transaction. Thank you
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. No problem. Not sure if the deed needs to be transferred to your name before sale but, if it does, I would not expect you to need to travel to handle the process. The cemetery should be able to see send you paperwork that you can sign and have notarized. A local real estate lawyer should be able to handle this transaction for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. A good referral source will be your County Bar Association. There should be no charge for the referral and no charge for the initial consultation with the attorney to whom you are referred.

Here is their contact info:

https://www.sdcba.org/index.cfm?pg=mainlris

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1