attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years of practice consumer protection law
68197583

I received a bill from the DMV to renew my registration. The

Customer Question

I received a bill from the DMV to renew my registration. The bill was for over 4 thousand dollars. I called them and they said it was because of fastrack. I called fastrack and they told me there has been about 48 times I passed trough the golden gate Bridge toll and it was not paid. I have a fastrack and I check it every so often to see if there is enough money. I replanish the account as needed and I never gave any attention to the mail I get because I do everything on line. So they asked me to write the form and ask for a review, I did. And they told me I was not given a new reduced value because they gave me once in 2014 and it is a one time deal. The car is worth the same amount as this bill, I really don't know what to do because they link it to the registration so I can't even pay my registration. Any suggestions?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and that you for your question. Your question was not showing up in the list of open questions and the site moderator asked me to assist you. I apologize that you are receiving a late response.

I cannot see the State that your question pertains to, although you do mention the Golden Gate Bridge which leads me to the conclusion that this is California. That is a hefty fee.

"I called fastrack and they told me there has been about 48 times I passed trough the golden gate Bridge toll and it was not paid. I have a fastrack and I check it every so often to see if there is enough money. I replanish the account as needed and I never gave any attention to the mail I get because I do everything on line. So they asked me to write the form and ask for a review, I did. And they told me I was not given a new reduced value because they gave me once in 2014 and it is a one time deal. The car is worth the same amount as this bill, I really don't know what to do because they link it to the registration so I can't even pay my registration. Any suggestions?"

I think you are telling me that you may have received mail notification of unpaid tolls but that you check online and were unaware of any issues. Is that correct?

I am not a fan of tolls in fact I feel they are government robbery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote them and they refused to lower it because it happened in 2014 too

I was suspected as much.

I wrote them and they refused to lower it because it happened in 2014 too I know how they work and it s very frustrating.

These amounts are actually negotiable my only concern is that you would want to have the assistance of an attorney as they tend not to listen to citizens. Give me a moment to provide links for several actions you can take on your own. Do you live in the San Francisco area so I can provide link for local attorneys that provide free consultations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in SF
I filled up a form they asked me but they didnt allow it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want 4K

Yes I can see that. While is possible they could have mailed you something the data online needed to match the information you were allegedly receiving. Please give me a few moments.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

I would start with the filing a consumer protection complaint with the California Attorney General. The Attorney General is tasked with consumer protection and would investigate the inconsistency in the online information and the amount you are being told you owe.

"File A Consumer Complaint

If you believe that a debt collector has violated the law, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General's Public Inquiry Unit. Consumer complaints are valuable to the Attorney General’s Office because they alert us to debt collection issues and other issues that California consumers face. We may forward a copy of your complaint to the debt collector; however, please be aware that the Attorney General’s Office cannot represent individuals or give legal advice.

You may also wish to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). This agency enforces the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The FTC may be contacted by mail at Consumer Response Center, Washington, DC###-##-#### ***** by telephone at 1(877)-FTC-HELP, or at FTC Complaint Assistant."

I have more information for you.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
I am here

This is a link for local attorneys that provide free consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/consumer-protection/san-francisco/california

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are so kind
Thank you very much
I am going to call them right now
Thank you

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Are you able to see the rating scale on your end?

Thank you for using JA!