How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34018
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rec a paper from an attorney to sign a default judgment

Customer Question

Hi-I rec a paper from an attorney to sign a default judgment for a MSD bill I owe and they are also asking for my employer and soc sec # ***** the paper. When I called, they said to fax it to avoid the embarrassment of having papers served. Do I need to sign it and do I need to disclose my employer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If they have not filed suit, it sounds as if they are trying to trick you into crating a judgment before they have even filed.

You do not have to sign anything from them. You can negotiate with them and demand they prove the obligation, as well as any other fees they are trying to add to the principal amount.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a case and file# ***** the letter. How can I avoid having papers served to my work? It seems strange that they are asking for my soc sec# ***** employer. Will they try to garnish my wages? I had asked for a statement and received it and then rec the letter. I told them I would agree to pay $60 a month and they said that was fine. They added $160 for attorney fees but I did not rec anything in writing about that agreement, only the letter to sign the default judgment. Can I dispute it in writing? Will that keep them from filing charges and I do not want to be served at work as I do not want to loose my job. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, they can serve you at home or work.

If they are willing to work out a payment plan demand that they put it in writing before you give them any information or payment. Otherwise, the settlement is not enforceable and they can sue you for the entire amount.

You do not have to agree to the entry of a judgment and you can demand that they prove the amount of the claim.

Remember, what ever they offer is not to help you, but to collect money for their client.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Loren, I received the link thru text messages. However, I'm unable to open it using my mobile phone. Can you send it to my email. I would appreciate that. Thanks!.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.