Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have been getting calls from American Cash Award about

Customer Question
receiving cash and a car...
I have been getting calls from American Cash Award about receiving cash and a car. Is this an honest legal company
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I supposedly rec'd a letter some time back from them, which I tossed out. I rec'd a call several days ago, telling me I had a check of $35,000 plus a Mercedes Benz. When I submit $299.00 I will receive the papers and to go to the Car dealer in Ft Myers to get me car. Today was the ;last day, so have to submit money tomorrow. I have the phone number and will be given info as to where to send the money. Supposedly same company who does the Reader';s Degest awards
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Consumer Protection Lawyer should know?
Customer: t
JA: Huh?
Customer: that's all I know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/26/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Anytime that you have to pay up front for an alleged prize that you have won, you can be sure that you are being scammed. There are no legitimate lotteries or sweepstakes that require any upfront payment for any administrative fees etc. If you would have truly won a real contest, any processing fee that would be required, which there really shouldn't be any except for the withholding of taxes, would be taken out of your winnings and not paid by you.In addition, the information that the Better Business Bureau has on this company is not positive. If you do an internet search for "American Cash Award Scam" it will bring up a very long list of people who have been taken in by them and lost their money. Please don't be one of them.. The government has a website on how to identify scams: Signs of a Prize ScamPlenty of contests are run by reputable marketers and non-profits. But every day, people lose thousands of dollars to prize scams. Here are some signs you’re dealing with a scam:.You have to payLegitimate sweepstakes don’t make you pay a fee or buy something to enter or improve your chances of winning — that includes paying "taxes," "shipping and handling charges," or “processing fees” to get your prize. There’s also no reason to give someone your checking account number or credit card number in response to a sweepstakes promotion.A skills contest where you do things like solve problems or answer questions correctly can ask you to pay. But these contests also tend to get more difficult and expensive as you advance, leaving contestants with nothing to show for their money and effort..You have to wire moneyYou may be told to wire money to an agent of “Lloyd’s of London” or another well-known company — often in a foreign country — to “insure” delivery of the prize. Don’t do it. Wiring money is like sending cash: once it’s gone, you can’t trace it or get it back. The same goes for sending a check or money order by overnight delivery or courier, or putting money on a prepaid debit card..You have to deposit a check they’ve sent to youWhen you do, they’ll ask you to wire a portion of the money back. The check will turn out to be a fake, and you will owe the bank any money you withdrew..You’re told they’re from the government — or another organization with a name that sounds officialThey might say they’re from an agency like the Federal Trade Commission and are informing you that you’ve won a federally supervised lottery or sweepstakes. Or they might use an official-sounding name like “the national consumer protection agency” or the non-existent “National Sweepstakes Bureau.” But they’re imposters. The FTC doesn’t oversee sweepstakes, and no federal government agency or legitimate sweepstakes company will contact you to ask for money so you can claim a prize..Other scammers might pretend to be a company like Publishers Clearing House or Reader’s Digest, which run legitimate sweepstakes. Look for signs of a scam, but if you’re still unsure, contact the real companies to find out the truth..Your “notice” was mailed by bulk rateIt’s not likely you’ve won a big prize if your notification was mailed by bulk rate. Other people got the same notice, too. Check the postmark on the envelope or postcard. Do you even remember entering? If not, odds are you didn’t..You get a call out of the blue, even though you’re on the Do Not Call RegistryOnce you register your phone number for free at donotcall.gov, unwanted telemarketing calls should stop within 30 days. Unless the company falls under one of the exemptions, it shouldn’t be calling: it’s illegal..Foreign LotteriesSometimes a letter you get will say you’ve won a foreign lottery or sweepstakes. Typically, the letter will include a check. This is a fake check scam. Or a letter will say they’re offering you a chance to enter a foreign lottery. The truth is that, even if your name was entered, it’s illegal to play a foreign lottery.,Scammers don’t obey the law. To avoid a scam, you have to do some research. If you’re not sure about a contest or promoter, try typing the company or product name into your favorite search engine with terms like “review,” “complaint” or “scam.” You also might check it out with your state attorney general or local consumer protection office..You know the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true....".thanksBarrister
Barrister, Lawyer