How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4078
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought washing machine that doesn't work on 5/20/2016 and

Customer Question

I bought washing machine that doesn't work on 5/20/2016 and I want to return it.
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I live in Phoenix AZ. and bought it in Goodyear AZ.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The washer machine was delivered on 5/20/2016 and I notified them on 5/21/2016. They said they need to contact corporate before they could help us.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. All new goods sold in the US have what is called an "implied warranty of merchant ability." This means that in addition to the manufacturers' you are protected under federal and state law that the product will work for the purpose it was sold. You made the first correct step in calling the store. Now you need to follow up and put your complaint and your demand in writing. You want to send your letter to the Manager of the Store, and the Headquarters of the Company. In the letter you will also ask for the remedy that you want (replacement, repair, refund). This letter is referred to as a Demand letter. This link describes in detail how to write a demand letter and provides an example that you can follow: In your letter you can state that you "will pursue all legal remedies if they company does not rectify the situation." If after you send the Demand letter the company does not remedy the situation you can file a complaint with the Arizona State Attorney General Office of Consumer protection: Also you can file an Unfair Business Practices complaint with the FTC: And you can also file a suit in Small Claims Court for violation of the federal and Sate consumer protection laws: There is no cost to file complaints with the Attorney General or the FTC. You must pay filing fees and service costs if you sue. So try the administrative remedies first. I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald