Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I recently switched insurance on my brand new car. My lien

Customer Question

I recently switched insurance on my brand new car. My lien holder requires me to have comprehensive coverage but when I signed up online they somehow only gave me liability insurance. While my vehicle was in the shop being repaired under another persons insurance it was damaged by hail and my front and back windshield were blown out. I'm now being forced to pay out of pocket for the damages to my car and the rental car. Is it legal for them to allow me to have liability insurance knowing it was a brand new car and having my lien holder listed?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. It is not illegal for them to sell you liability insurance only in Texas.However, it could be that you ordered full coverage and their system messed up. The only way to find that out is to sue them and then do discovery and have a computer expert review the files to see what happened.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You can also report them to the Texas Board of Insurance but I've never found them to be a tremendous help.