KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.
9540344

How do I cover myself to not be liable if I rent out my motor

Customer Question

How do I cover myself to not be liable if I rent out my motor home?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Can you share with me what your concerns are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I let my cousin use my motor home and he happens to get in accident how do I protect myself so that they can't come after me with a lawsuit since I'm the owner of the vehicle
Thank you. As the owner, you can be liable. Of course, you want to make sure that you are covered with your insurance for a 3rd party using the vehicle and that he has insurance as well. Now, if he does something which results in a lawsuit, that is his fault and you get sued, you would have to go after him to recover. You can not simply avoid being liable when you own the motor home and loan it to a third party, so you need to make sure you are properly covered for a 3rd party driver with your insurance and that he has insurance as well.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions about this or need me to clarify something. I am here to help so please just let me know.