Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

A young womanI have been chatting with online asked me to open

Customer Question

A young womanI have been chatting with online asked me to open a bank account with capital one so that some funds she would be receiving from her grandfathers death could not come directly to ghana.and she wants me to open an account and give her the information
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No ,I have not but could you direct me to one
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: She said the money would come from the sale of gold. She also offered me a telephone number but I did not take it or should i
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Don't do it! You would think from the number of times every day we get a question just like yours that every woman in Ghana is an heiress just ready willing and able to run to the States to hand it all over to some stranger she's been seducing over the internet. You'd be wrong, however. Ghana is a very poor country where the average person makes the US equivalent of $200/year in salary. But one thing brings a great deal of money into Ghana's economy. That's the romance scam, at which they are very, very, VERY good. Here's how this scam works: You meet someone online who is in Ghana and who falls in love with you at warp speed. She rushes you into an exclusive romance and seduces you with lots of sexy photos. She tells you that she is an heiress with a fortune in gold or cash in some storage center or bank in Ghana. Typically, she also says that her inheritance is contingent on her finding the right man. And then, suddenly, though you've never met her in your life and have no idea if she is even real or not, tag, you're it. You're told that you're the right man for her and that it's your job to clear her inheritance so that she can bring it to the States and you and she can live happily and wealthily ever after. For some reason she can't send the inheritance directly to your bank. That's not an option. Instead, she expects you to open a bank account in Ghana, (which you really cannot do unless you live there, but you aren't supposed to know that).She'll send you to a website, which you think is a real bank site, but it isn't. It's a clone. It will show her "fortune" so that you know she's told you the truth. Then you will wire her money to set up the account. And you'll see that money in the account too. But the money you send over will go directly to a team of scammers. There's no real bank. And there will be problems, getting the funds transferred into your account. To solve them you will have to pay more. And more. And then pay for a lawyer. And his fees. And more fees. And more. This scam comes complete with phony barristers, phony bankers and all sorts of forged documents. I'm guessing you've learned some of this already or you wouldn't be writing us. I know you may want more concrete evidence that she's a fake. So feel free to upload any documents she sent you with your reply, including any photos of herself she has sent you.If she's sending lots of sexy photos, you can bet that they have actually been downloaded from the web of a porn star and that your scammer is just using these photos to entrap you. Never let an online romance who you have not met in person and entered into an actual real-time committed dating relationship involve you in her financial problems. That is ALWAYS a scam, and we have never seen one of these Ghana romances be the real thing once talk of love turns into talk of your money.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.