How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've recently leased another car from the Acura Dealership

Customer Question

I've recently leased another car from the Acura Dealership that is located in Gaithersburg, MD and traded in my previous lease, which was a Lexus. This happened over the weekend and the dealership needed to know the buyout pricing, but Lexus financing is closed over the weekend, so I told them to wait until Monday before pursuing the sale. The manager at the dealership persisted on moving forward with the sale and agreed to the trade-in of our vehicle, so we signed the agreement. Come Monday, they found out that they could not due the deal anymore and asked us to return the vehicle, which we did, but my mom had already returned our licensed plate to our previous car to the MVA, so it was destroyed and we can't get it back.
Now we are not sure what to do to have new plates on our previous car. The MVA told us to go back to the dealership, so we did, but they said it's not their problem and there isn't anything they can do for us, so we want to know what options are available?
Could we sue the dealership for creating this mess? They should not have sold us the vehicle without checking. It was all due to a greedy manager who was trying to hit his sales number.
Please let me know your thoughts whenever you get a chance. Thanks.
Vinh Vo (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
You will need to apply for substitute plates using this form. As far as suing the dealer, yes, you can sue them for negligence and ask for your time and expenses in getting this mess corrected. To bring a claim on negligence in Maryland, you must prove that:the defendant was under a duty to protect the plaintiff from injury,the defendant breached that duty,plaintiff suffered actual injury or loss, and the loss or injury proximately resulted from the defendant's breach of the duty.This can be filed in small claims court - SEE HERE. You may also be able to sue for breach of contract if they signed off on the deal also.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions