How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A Plumber worked on my home in July 2015 because of a toilet

Customer Question

A Plumber worked on my home in July 2015 because of a toilet backup. The same problem happened again this month and I am told it is a different problem than the one under warranty, even though it happened exactly the same way. I paid out 6400 dollars last time. If it happened the same way the second time, I feel they did not do it right the first time! Do I need a lawyer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Before you can decide whether you need a lawyer, you will need to hire another plumber to come out and look at the paper work of the work the plumber did in 2015 and compare that to the problem you are having today. In other words, you will need an independent expert opinion to know if this is related or unrelated to the 2015 problem/fix. If you find that it is in fact a related problem, then you may have to further ask if this problem could be the result of a negligent install or a defective part. At that point you will also need to see what the warranty is on the part or the service. Now, you may be ready for a lawyer. The type of lawyer you want to hire is a consumer law attorney that handles DTPA [deceptive trade practices] cases. The lawyer will send a 60 day demand letter on your behalf for about $250.00 fee or 33% of what he can settle the case for. Here is a link to get a referral. We are not permitted to refer any particular attorney to JA customers.