How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJLLAW Your Own Question
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1527
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
KJLLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Questions about flood coverage on an old 60-70 year old

Customer Question

Questions about flood coverage on an old 60-70 year old house. I understand there is a difference between flood protection and surge protection. Flood covers rising waters from rainfall or poor drainage or backed up sewer/drain pipes. Surge covers water pushed onto land by a hurricane. Is this true? If so, I've been told flood insurance covers only the former and the surge is protected by an add on to the homeowners insurance. True?
Further I've been told I can only get "cash value" because the property is a rental. How much cash value is likely to be left after 60-70 years depreciation? Most things in the house, wallboard, plumbing, wiring, kitchen cabinets (not appliances) are original.
But I'm also told that if I don't carry the full premium of 80% of the replacement value of the home, there will be a penalty that will subtract from whatever little case value these old things might be deemed to have.
It appears I am carrying flood insurance and can expect to get almost nothing if I need it. Is this as bad as it looks?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, what state are you located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found my answer elsewhere. Please cancel this question.