How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KnowYourRights Your Own Question
KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 28373
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
KnowYourRights is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a letter from AT&T saying that I owed money on an

Customer Question

Hi - i got a letter from AT&T saying that I owed money on an account that got merged into a new account. I have a zero balance for the new account. I called and spoke to their customer service and they said I could ignore it but could not provide a reference number of any kind. I am worried that AT&T will somehow make a mistake and report this to the credit bureaus. Should I just wait to see if this happens or is there anything I can do proactively? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 year ago.
How much is owed? Did you ask that they send something in wiriting evidencing this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their letter indicates $293.00. I asked for a reference number or something but the person the phone was unable to provide either.
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 year ago.
If you have concerns you can pay it and if the account is closed they will return the funds or apply it as a credit. Ideally you can ask them to send something in writing that you can ignore this and will not be charged but if they will not then you can rely on what they are saying and double check by speaking with another representative. The goal is to protect your own interest if there is an issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - is there a way to notify them in writing (I was thinking from a lawyer) of the status and what they have indicated to me?
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 year ago.
That is outside the scope of our site but you can request this from then when you speak with them to confirm.
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.