Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I bought a car 1999 Dodge caravan,...I bought a car about

Customer Question

I bought a car 1999 Dodge caravan,...I bought a car about a week ago 1999 Dodge caravan, private sale, the owner gave me an inspection from Chrysler dealership "peace of mind inspection" which was done around 10months ago, on the inspection it says that at that time the breaks were 90% rear 85% front and everything else on the sheet was check marked as good. 3 days later after I bought the car I noticed an oil leak so I took it to a local shop and they gave me a quote for around 1100$ for the oil leaks. I asked them to check breaks and they said there are around 50% left. It's very weird that in less then a year and less then 3000km 40% of breaks are gone, I read that on average new breaks should last 65000km (car was driven by 72 years old guy) so I went to Chrysler dealership to double check and I did another "peace of mind inspection" they said the breaks are at 50-60% and quoted me for around 1800$ for oil leaks. When I asked the dealership how is it possible, they said that it's a 35$ "piece of mind inspection" visual inspection and the mechanics "eyeball it" and it's just approximate percentage but 40% of breaks in just 3000km doesn't even sound close to normal. I went on a Chrysler website and that's what it says about the inspection "" A Peace of Mind Vehicle Inspection is the perfect way to prepare your vehicle for the new season. It covers all the basics with your safety in mind. This service is also a good idea for people who are thinking of buying or have recently purchased a second hand vehicle and are happy with the cosmetics of the vehicle such as the interior and paintwork, but need assurance that the mechanics of the vehicle are in good order."" When I bought the car I looked under and it was spotless, I think the previous owner cleaned it before selling because when I bought the car the dipstick was at "full" and just in 3 days it went to "add" that's about 1L of oil. The report doesn't say that they check for leaks, it just says they check fluid levels, on the other side it's a visual report and the leak couldn't be unnoticed visually because it's leaking from 2-3 different places, at least they could have wrote it in the comments section. I talked to the service manager thru the phone, when I explained my situation he said kind of the same thing that it's a visual report and there is nothing he can help me with. Just in general when I talked to them it kind of felt pointless. My other concern is the breaks, it seems to me like 40% of the breaks in 3000km it's not normal. So now I'm wondering maybe I should check if my breaks are defective if they are disappearing so fast or maybe it was mechanic's mistake or maybe it's normal for a "visual inspection" to be off by that much? My whole point I wouldn't buy the car at the first place or at least I would take it to inspection to a local shop but since the previous owner had it inspected not too long ago from a certified Chrysler dealership I was sure that there would be nothing major needed like 1800$ job. I relied on the dealer to be my expert, now I'm stuck with a car that needs 1800$ worth of repairs
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
are you asking for options to pursue a claim against the dealer? did you pay dealer by credit card?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the car from private sale, he had a report done 10months ago. And I did another 1 after I bought a car, because it seemed to be off about breaks ( I payed with credit card ).I was wondering if I have a chance to get some compensation or repairs covered because I wouldn't buy the car if I didn't see the previous report, I had no idea that report doesn't mean anything, on Chrysler website it says "This service is also a good idea for people who are thinking of buying or have recently purchased a second hand vehicle and are happy with the cosmetics of the vehicle such as the interior and paintwork, but need assurance that the mechanics of the vehicle are in good order." I never had any problems with dealerships before because they charge a lot and do quality work. I don't understand the purpose of this report. The repairs are more expensive then the whole car. Do you think I have a chance to get something out of it with what I have or am I wasting time?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!
Basis of claim is misrepresentation and consumer fraud.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.