How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying on a debt owed years ago but the debt was

Customer Question

I have been paying on a debt owed years ago but the debt was bought by some company. I'm still paying on this debt, now I'm being summoned to a deposition and I should bring my accounts statement. Do I have to take my accounts statements to deposition or have a Lawyer to represent me?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,if the debt was reduced to a judgment (meaning that the creditor went to court and sued you, then got a judgment against you), they are entitled to take your "debtor's deposition" - they can demand that you bring documents with you (such as bank statements, etc.) directly related to your assets and liabilities, as well as showing your income.You only need to bring those documents that are specifically requested.You do not need an attorney to represent you, but you are entitled to have one there if you would like to hire one. (Having a lawyer at these meetings is usually not really necessary, the creditor is entitled to ask all kinds of questions about your assets, income, and liabilities - basically anything related to where they can possibly collect their judgment - but they cannot bully you or otherwise act unprofessionally - if you have any legitimate question about what they are asking for you can certify it to the court - and a judge will tell you whether or not to answer (keep in mind, this is a very liberal deposition, so unless they are way off base, the court is probably going to instruct you to answer - but if they are trying to push you around - this can be useful).

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions