How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 27763
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Went to a strip club in Illinois was scammed over 20k. They

Customer Question

Went to a strip club in Illinois was scammed over 20k. They got me totally drunk, never said how much it would be. I just wanted them to get me home save after I was loaded. Got up the next day with
Over 20k on my card. Do I have any legal rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What was the result of the dispute with your credit card. Who signed for these various services the club allegedly provided?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Plying you with liquor in order to rack up charges you are not competent to ask for or authorize is a form of fraud. If they signed your signature as well that would be a forgery offense. As you've opened up a dispute with your credit card carrier you need to also go the police and make a full report of this incident. The card carrier is going to want this, and they will likely ask you for a copy of it, but also, this memorializes the incident in case you lose the dispute and the police don't investigate and you have to try to recover civilly instead. Make it clear to the police how this could have happened to the extent that you remember. Let them know that you want this investigated and that charges be pressed against the offenders at the club. The other thing you could do is sue the club for their fraud. You may find this article of interest to see that this recourse does exist. You would have to look for an Illinois civil litigator with experience trying cases involving intentional torts.