Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

What's the best way to make insurance claim on a comprehensive

Customer Question

What's the best way to make insurance claim on a comprehensive insurance policy? Should I hire an attorney or an adjuster?
It is a $50,000 German car which was totaled in Houston flood.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you hire an adjuster right away and the insurer agrees to give you book value on the car, then you still have to pay the adjuster and this means you would get less money. So what you need to do is file your own claim on the damage and only if the insurance company refuses to give you a fair deal on payment should you consider an adjuster. The adjuster should be the very last option in settling the claim, since they do charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a house fire. The insurance company wanted to settle for $20,000. I hired an adjuster who settled with the insurance company for $70,000. Charged me 8%.

Are car insurance settlements different where an adjuster cannot earn his commission?

Thank you for your reply.

It depends on circumstances, but settling car claims are a bit different than on a house. On a house you have replacement values and lost contents. Here you have a car damaged by a major catastrophe that impacted thousands. So try to negotiate first, then if necessary hire the public adjuster.