Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

A creditor won a judgement against me and we settled the account.

Customer Question
They were taking the money...
a creditor won a judgement against me and we settled the account. They were taking the money out of my account and then suddenly stopped. The account was never closed and is still open today. What rights do I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
4/17/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..When was the last time you made a payment on the judgment?..thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
February 2012. They insisted on auto debit from our bank.
Ok, unfortunately the statute of limitations in Ohio on a judgment is 21 years. So they could do absolutely nothing for a very long time and then decide to enforce their judgment and it is legal for them to do so..So the fact that they didn't try and collect for 2 years wouldn't mean that they couldn't later do so because they have 21 years from the date the judgment was entered to collect..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your help. Thank you.
You are very welcome, even if the news is kind of lousy...If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me..All the best to you and yours.Barrister
Barrister, Lawyer