How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118236
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's Barbara again. Just one more thing, is there any

Customer Question

Hi, it's Barbara again. Just one more thing, is there any kind of law or statute that can make Abbott's Wrecker release that vin number to me so that I can get the Carfax and find the owner that is the last listed on the title so that I can pursue this further? They told me they could not legally let me have that vin, however, to me it seems by their actions thus far, they do believe that we were definitely the purchasers, at least i would imagine, or it seems like if not, they would have been at least a tiny bit helpful in helping more even if it was just some info or my plates.....
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no statute on this, but it is the common law rule that he is entitled to his property from the car. Also, the VIN is not confidential and there is no statute preventing the wrecker service from releasing it to you because anyone walking down the street can read the VIN by looking in the window. They are making stuff up because they want to be jerks and tell them you will be there with the police to get your property and to have them investigate the wrecker yard as well for their conduct and make sure they have no stolen or illegal cars on the lot as well, since they do not want to cooperate with you by just giving you your son's property, your plates and the VIN.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really loved that! I just wish you were here to enlighten them for me! :) Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
You just need to be polite but firm with them and if they refuse, call the police and inform them what is going on. At the very least make the police write a report on the lost or stolen plates since the wrecker will not return them and this way you can get that into the DMV.