How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116827
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a contract with DISH that is years and am approx

Customer Question

i have a contract with DISH that is for two years and am approx 8 months into it.
my employment will end the end of this month and I will return to my home state.
I communication with DISH this morning they want 400+ dollars to cancel my service. Do i have any alternatives?
joseph tokarski
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, legally these contracts are binding. The law says that written contracts are used to bind people to the contracts that they agree upon. So, if you signed the agreement, which is the installation agreement, I am afraid you are going to be bound to that agreement and they legally do not have to give you consideration for your personal hardships.
The only thing you can do is either keep them and get someone else to pay (as they suggested) or continue to negotiate with them in hopes they will at least reduce the early termination fee, but legally they do not have to do so.