How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10224
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was rear-ended and headed west on 64 to Hampton Virginia.

Customer Question

I was rear-ended and headed west on 64 to Hampton Virginia. The person that rear-ended me is insured by USAA. Due to the accident I have lost my utility trailer and 10 x 6 I have damage to my pickup truck. The utility trailer was used for my lawn care business. I purchase this trailer for $1,299.00 in January 2016. Now USAA is offering me $500 for my trailer. I cannot replace the trailer for that amount I have not asked them for the cost of it we registering a trailer or the loss of business. Do I have a right to sue them for the full value of which I paid for the trailer and loss of business
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
One need not accept an offer of settlement from an insurance company. The victim in the accident is entitled to the replacement cost of the destroyed property. If it was purchased just a few months ago and the insurance is offering only 1/3 of its value, that is not generally the industry standard. If the insurance company insists that one must accept settlement or otherwise harasses the person, a complaint can be filed here: Often times, a party will hire an attorney to help achieve a fair settlement. If, for example, the loss of the equipment resulted in lost profits from one's business, that can also be recovered by the at fault driver. Small claims is for disputes under $4500 - but again, an attorney may be able to help achieve a satisfactory settlement. Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.