How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118264
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was attacked by a security guard in a local non-profit hospital. He

Customer Question

I was attacked by a security guard in a local non-profit hospital. He broke three of my ribs and did internal damage for which I was treated for. I was discriminated against by the hospital because I am mentally Ill, and they knew it. Does anyone know of the civil rights law I should apply. This happened 11 months ago? Is this a ACA section 1557 case? Or civil battery?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Section 1557 applies if they denied you access to healthcare based on your mental health condition. If they did not deny you healthcare based on your mental health condition, then your claim is battery and possibly discrimination based on permanent disability against the hospital to seek monetary damages for your injury, your pain and suffering caused by the attack. A local attorney will have to review the facts and circumstances surrounding the attack on you of course to determine what caused that attack and whether or not force used was reasonable based on your actions.
To find a good attorney in your area, you would want a personal injury law attorney or a civil rights attorney and you can get one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or