How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34272
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been getting phone calls from a magazine service

Customer Question

I have been getting phone calls from a magazine service saying I owe them over $900 for a service I supposedly signed up for. For over a year anytime I get a call from any of these companies I tell them I want no more magazines and no extentions of any of the ones they say I ordered. I am getting magazines that I have no interest in. How do I get out of this and can they sue me? They said if they didn't hear from me by next month it will be turned over to a collection agency.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I want to make sure I mention "supposedly signed up for"...did you agree to the subscription?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had signed up for one about 5 years ago but it has long since been closed. This is a totally new company Called Registered Publications.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
If you do not owe the money? Then you have no obligation to pay a penny. And for them to force you to pay, they would first have to go to court, provide evidence to the court that you owe the money, BEFORE they can obtain a judgment (and force you to pay)

So can they sue you? They could...but frankly speaking, I doubt they do...since if they did file suit, they would have to prove that you owed the money.

And, perhaps more important, IF they report this on your credit? You can sue them under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). THe FCRA is a very "consumer friendly" law that allows you to sue for $1000 PLUS attorney fees.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions