Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I took my car to an auto body shop to get repaired. The

Customer Question

I took my car to an auto body shop to get repaired. The owner damaged my car further to get more money from insurance. The insurance company than stopped payment on his check and started an investigation. The body shop owner said it was my fault and he hired me an attorney. I asked for my car back and he refused wanting 6000 in car repair . He painted and fixed my car a different color and now wants his money for this sub standard work. I was able to get my car back. Can he put a lien on my car ? It's a leased Maserati with ally bank .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
He cannot put a lien in the car. You on the other hand can pursue a claim for damages incurred to the extent not repaired. This can be pursued in small claims court. You may also complain to the BBB and attorney general office. Kindly rate the answer positively.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got this today saying he has a repair lien
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
The lien is wrongly placed. You can demand from the firm and company that it be removed, and if not removed, sue to have it removed and awarded damages for the negligent work performed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is in my possession can he place a lien ? Does this prove he has a lien? Where can I verify this lien ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took my car into Dmv and they said the Lien would be removed
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
If they have formalized it then it would be with the dmv. Otherwise they are merely asserting a claim for payment and calling it a lien.To recap options. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can they records with the Dmv office ? The Dmv should have A record of any liens correct ? Can they place a lien for a car out of their possession ?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
They would simply report a claim relating to the vehicle. Practically speaking you should either resolve by negotiation or by lawsuit. Kindly rate me positively.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So they can file a lien for any amount? Which goes to the lender as well ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who would simply report a claim ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can they formalize the lien?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Through dmv or by suing and asserting the lien. Kindly press on the excellent rating button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how can they put a lien through Dmv? If they have the car in their possession only correct?last question sorry
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
They would report a claim to the dmv relating to the vehicle. Good luck. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The claim only goes through if they have the car correct ?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Generally yes.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Kindly select the excellent rating button.