Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

To begin with. On 03/03/16 I used my credit card to pay my

Customer Question

To begin with. On 03/03/16 I used my credit card to pay my rent via rentpaidonline. The first time I noticed the payment did not go via, so I did the payment again and it was approved. I immediately call my bank(capital one) just to make sure that payment went through because it was turned down the first time. Capital one customer service assistant assured me that it went through, but when I checked my rentpaidonline account I could see that that payment was not highlighted on my profile. I was not so sure, but I was peaceful because capital one has assured me the payment was approved. The next day 03/04/16, I checked my rentpaidonline portal, I see that they had given me a late fee of $100 for not paying my sent in time. I tried to get in contact with capital one and rentpaidonline to inquire what was going wrong with tha payment. They had two separate account
- capital one told me that they approved the payment but rentpaidonline did not issue a sales involve
- rent paid said it wasn't their fault, that I had issued a wring CVV code "for which I'm not quiet sure"
So I talked with my apartment complex when I found out they had added an additional late fees of $75. I told my apartment complex that I tried paying my sent, had the funds in my account but don't know what went wrong, I explained to them that I still have the rent, and if they could please remove the late fees, I would pay my rent, my apartment complex refused and said I have to pay the rent with the fees. I keep calling capital one and rent paid more than 20timws combined trying to see if they can come to a common ground to assist me with this extra $175 late fees. I even went as far to call capital one and rentpaidonline on two separate phones so we could have a 3way call. They both don't agree it was their fault. Capital one later accepts to assist me with $50. Now I need an extra $125. I went to my apartment complex and tried to talk to them to understand that I don't have the extra late fees and that I really did try to pay my rent, they wouldn't even try to see with me, all they wanted was the money, and promised to evict me. It angered me and I was disappointed how all was about the money, not even trying to understand that I was telling the truth. So I told them "they can evict me if they want". So I return to my complex and I'm worried about what an eviction will do to my rental history. So I finally get my check from my job on the 03/31/16. I log into my rentpaidonline portal to make a payment with the late fees, but I noticed that my apartment complex had suspended my account and I could not make online payments anymore. I called rentpaidonline the following day and they told me my apartment complex had blocked my account. I close work that Friday and before returning, the leasing office was closed. They don't return till Monday which is the 04/04/16. Now I have no other way of paying the rent, they give me an added late fees of $100 for not making the Aprils rent by the 04/03/16. Not I have 2 rent payments with a late fee of $275. I rent to the leasing office on Monday 04/04/16 and respectfully ***** ***** I could talk to the manager that I have the money for both months rent and the previous $175 late fees, she refused to talk to me and told me she "was doing payroll". She recommends me talk to the secretary. The secretary told me there was nothing they could do but either evict me or I pay the most ney. I told them I see they are merely trying to destroy my rental history and I told them I will not let it happen. I told them I will give them all the money with money order the next day. Not they reveal to me that I will also have to pay an attorney fee of $400 for filing an eviction summon. That takes me a-storm. I go back to my apartment and reflect how one can be so maltreated just because of money. I called my leasing office the following day and told the I will make all the payments they want; I taught at the end I will be the one to loose, not capital one, rentpaidonline or my apartment "disrespectful" manager. So laterthatyday I gave them a cheque that included two months rent, $275 and $140: the first in 3 installments attorney fee. Not they are satisfied after putting a bad record on my rental history. I write this simply because I feel they were not truthful with all this, I believe their rent paid system was flawed and they punished me for their let downs.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I understand your frustration completely. This issue becomes where the mistake occurred. If the bank caused the issue they should be responsible for their error. The rent is due pursuant to your lease no matter how you make your payments. If the issue happened on the due to an error by the apartment complex they are the responsible party and need to rectify the situation.I log into my rentpaidonline portal to make a payment with the late fees, but I noticed that my apartment complex had suspended my account and I could not make online payments anymore. I called rentpaidonline the following day and they told me my apartment complex had blocked my account. I close work that Friday and before returning, the leasing office was closed.Can you tell me of the complex sets up the rent portal? How long have you paying rent through the portal?Can you get anything in wrtiing from your bank that states that the money was available to the complex?