Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I brought my car to NTB to have it checked because my car was

Customer Question

I brought my car to NTB to have it checked because my car was shaking when it stopped at lights or stop signs and the check engine light was on. When I took the car to NTB, the techs ran a diagnostic test to determine what was wrong. The techs informed me that the sensors on my car needed to be replaced. That was it. I left my vehicle and returned when I was notified it was ready. Once I received the bill and paid, I was told by the tech that they did a complimentary oil change and a fuel tune up which was noted on my receipt. Great. I left the lot with my car and immediately upon driving off the lot my car began to smoke in the tailpipe. I turned back and told them of the issue and was told that because of the oil change and the fuel tune up there might some oil residue that would cause it to smoke but it is nothing to worry about and it will just burn off. I said ok. First, second, and third day, the car was still smoking. I took the car back a total of three times until the techs finally said they did not know what the problem was and suggested I take it to the dealership. I took the car to the dealership and upon checking my vehicle, I was told that there was no oil in the engine and there is possible permanent damage to the engine. So I returned back to NTB (by this time I have a rental car) to let them know of this and they had an inspector come out to check the car and said that there is no proof that the work they did cause engine damage. My car was never smoking prior to NTB working on my car. To replace the engine will be $4300. Do I have a claim of negligence? Thank you for your time. -***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I brought my car to NTB to have it checked because my car was shaking when it stopped at lights or stop signs and the check engine light was on. When I took the car to NTB, the techs ran a diagnostic test to determine what was wrong. The techs informed me that the sensors on my car needed to be replaced. That was it. I left my vehicle and returned when I was notified it was ready. Once I received the bill and paid, I was told by the tech that they did a complimentary oil change and a fuel tune up which was noted on my receipt. Great. I left the lot with my car and immediately upon driving off the lot my car began to smoke in the tailpipe. I turned back and told them of the issue and was told that because of the oil change and the fuel tune up there might some oil residue that would cause it to smoke but it is nothing to worry about and it will just burn off. I said ok. First, second, and third day, the car was still smoking. I took the car back a total of three times until the techs finally said they did not know what the problem was and suggested I take it to the dealership. I took the car to the dealership and upon checking my vehicle, I was told that there was no oil in the engine and there is possible permanent damage to the engine. So I returned back to NTB (by this time I have a rental car) to let them know of this and they had an inspector come out to check the car and said that there is no proof that the work they did cause engine damage. My car was never smoking prior to NTB working on my car. To replace the engine will be $4300. Do I have a claim of negligence? Thank you for your time. -***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
How much are your total damages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
$4300
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
You are entitled to recover on theory of contract and negligence.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.