How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19296
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a commercial property in San Jose that I was unable

Customer Question

I have a commercial property in San Jose that I was unable to pay property tax 5 years ago. Now the taxes have doubled at 18% per year interest and they are threatening foreclosure if I do not pay by June. It's now grown to $70K that I do not have, and it's due by June. My credit is screwed up as I have not recovered from last recession, and so I'm only allowed crappy loans if I refinance to raise the money, and I'm not even sure if that's going to to be enough. Are there any creative solutions to stalling payment further? I can probably pay it if I had 6 more months. I'm looking at creative solutions like UCC promissory notes, and suing the city to prove the debt. Any other ideas to get more timer reduce it? The original debt was half. A friend was suggesting I sue the city and force them to settle, because they usually do- they need the money.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, there are no viable options for reducing or delaying the payment. If you file lawsuit against the City, the lawsuit would not prevent the City from auctioning off the property in a tax sale UNLESS you specifically ask the Court to suspend the auction and the Court grants your request. That is unlikely if your only defend against the Taxes due is that you "fell on hard times" and you are having trouble getting the funds to pay the taxes. You need to figure out a way to pay this tax due by the deadline. Otherwise, your property would be sold, regrettably. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions