How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6806
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know my spelling is bad I'm super dilectic and never learnd

Customer Question

I know my spelling is bad I'm super dilectic and never learnd proper sorry but. Denver credit union repoed my car then 2 weeks later told me they were worng and now 6 weeks later they still wont bring my car back. It seams theyve been changing my acount # ***** make it cerect but never told me or my bank we I could fix it on my end. then they stoped cerecting it and said I missed to meny payments and repoed it. Then after ain inspection of the account they found I have n't missed a payment sence day one. They took my car but wont bring it back. I want to sue the hell out of them after all theyr a bank if they can't inspect accounts frist they need to be but it ther place. this is the 4th or 5th lawyer group I asked and no one seams to care. Will you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
While you are right that based on your facts you have basis to sue for wrongful repossession and loss of use of your car, I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, or
You are NOT being charged for this response and you can contact customer service at for a refund of any deposit if you like or at***@******.*** or you can call Just Answer customer service at(###) ###-####