How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Patient abandonment/malpractice JA: The Family Lawyer will

Customer Question

patient abandonment/malpractice
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: was with my primary doctor for about 5 years. He started prescribing my opioid pain meds in 2012 for Degenerative Disc Disease/back pain. I asked to be referred to a specialist but he told me there is nothing a specialist could do. I was increased on the pain meds. first hydrocodone 100 every three months and then oxycodone 100 every month. FInally, to make a long story short, in October I went for my monthly appointment and was told upon arrival that he was no longer accepting Medicaid patients because he had merged with a local hospital, and that would be my last visit. I asked him directly for a primary care referral and he laughed, stating that if he knew of any then he'd have them working in his practice. He increased my Fentanyl patch mcg dose, though he knew he would no longer be seeing me and knowing I had no one else to tend to my care. My mother is a Nurse Practitioner hired through the same neetwork, and she was dumbfounded because she knows Medicaid patients are allowed through the hospital since the doctor had now merged. I had my mother call to advocate on my behalf. I called crying and begging them for help. A few days later, I lost complete control of my dominant hand. Nerve Palsey. I'm a graduate student and had to take a leave from school for medical reasons; my same doctor had written a letter to my university one month prior, in order for me to receive disability services. I was physically dependant on the narcotic meds: the oxycodone and Fentanyl Patch and I suffered severe withdrawl. I'm in agony constantly. My husband took his life one month after we had gone to that last visit with my doctor. My husband, mother or friend would accompany me to my visits because I felt I needed a chaperone because of the Doctor's previous behaviors and advances. I felt as though he knew he was merging with the large local hospital, though made no prior mention of such until the day of my final appointment where his medical assistant, secretary (his relative), and he were wearing official nametags displaying the hospital's logo. I went there every single month. I cannot/have not obtained suitable treatment yet. This is a nightmare. To think, my internist would prescribe and then increase Fentanyl Patch when he knew he would not monitor me anymore. No formal notice. nothing. I was given my monthly prescriptions and bid farewell. 30 days of the Patches and 30 days worth of oxycodone. I offered to pay cash and was told it wasn't an option. This is a nightmare. My mother, the Nurse Practitioner, can attest to this. I've never attempted legal actions against anyone. ever. I feel I need to take a stand on this one. This is immoral and unethical, at the very least.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Family Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I believe my statement was detailed enough
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to read about your difficulties. You would need to file complaint against the Doctor with the Board of Medicine in your State. As for the lawsuit, there would be no legal basis for the lawsuit if you have not suffered any damages as a result of the doctor's actions. You would need the services of a local Attorney who handles medical malpractice cases to thoroughly review your case to determine whether you can file lawsuit against the doctor. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys: Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions