How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I co-signed a car loan daughter. I was still working

Customer Question

I co-signed a car loan for my daughter. I was still working when I co-signed; I'm now 71 and retired. My daughter lost her job and I've been paying her rent and car payment. It's putting me behind with my bills. All I have is my social security with no other income. Is there any way that I can get my name off the car loan contract?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear this;unfortunately when one signs as co-signer, it is impossible to be released from the loan unless the lender agrees to it. Most lenders will not, because it provides assurance that the company will get their payment. If no one pays on the car, it will be repossessed but that would affect one's credit adversely. Another option is to attempt to convince the owner of the car to sell it, and buy perhaps a used car after the balance is paid off.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Sample letter kindly rate positively if no further questions.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions