How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 39026
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ongoing bill dispute with AT&T Uverse. Last

Customer Question

I have an ongoing bill dispute with AT&T Uverse. Last October I switched to bundle services and save money, but the billing cycles even now from the crossover from Comcast have never straightened out. They placed a collection agency on me for an amount that never was. All amounts were paid in full on time. Since the matter was never resolved through countless phone calls and letters to billing supervisors with proof, I finally cancelled and moved all services to Comcast and Sprint, receipt copies of equipment turned in and all pertinent proof. They are still sending me bills as if I never cancelled. I refuse to pay and only want the matter to stop and not be on my credit report. Thank you for any help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


If you contend that AT&T and a debt collector have furnished incorrect information to a credit reporting agency, then you can sue AT&T, the debt collector (and the credit reporting agency -- but, only if you first dispute the negative report and the credit reporting agency refuses to delete the incorrect report) under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Federla law permits the court to award you up to $1,000 in damages from each of the defendants, for a willful negative report.

This type of case can generally be brought in small claims court, without a lawyer. Or, you can hire a lawyer to sue, and assuming that you win, the lawyer would be entitled to attorney's fees paid by the defendant(s).

Letter writing from a nonlawyer will generally be unproductive (except to the credit reporting agency). Large organizations and debt collectors typically ignore consumer complaints. Frankly, they typically ignore me, even though I'm a lawyer. The only thing that gets attention is an actual lawsuit.

If you need a link to a reputable lawyer referral service, please let me know and Ill be happy to provide further info.

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!