How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Spark energy charged me the ghest possible rate because i

Customer Question

Spark energy charged me the highest possible rate because i forgot to renew my contact.i renewed my contact and attempted to negotiate on them charging such a high bill.the supervisor told me i would get a 30 froma.00 330.00 bill.i paid 150.00 on the bill with the understanding that i would pay the rest on april 1.on or about march 7 i received a call from the company said that i sowedafterthem 330.00.i told them no that i had paid half the bill and will pay the rest next month.the company started calling twice a day until demanding that i pay the bill after sending me a bill stating that
The bill need to paid on april 1 after i told them that they willhearing from lawyer for harassment.they cut my light off.i am handicap and in the dark no heat or light and everythingin my apartment ison electric. What are my right
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that if you failed to renew the contract, they have a right to demand you pay the bill. Any time to pay the bill is up to the company. However, they cannot disconnect your utilities without proper notice and as a disabled person you are entitled to at least 63 days notice prior to disconnection and a deferred payment plan. If they did not give this to you and did not give proper notice to you before disconnecting, then you need to file a complaint to the Texas Utilities Commission ( Contact the public utilities commission and file a complaint about the disconnect and that it is an emergency situation because of your handicap and they will assist.
Furthermore, you can sue the company for damages you incurred for this situation and you need to go to your local legal aid office or call the Texas bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys to assist you in pursuing legal action against them.
Also, contact your local social services office, as they have programs for disabled persons to assist with utilities bills.