How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sent a gun to ruger to be repaired that i bought in 1972

Customer Question

i sent a gun to ruger to be repaired that i bought in 1972 and it was registered. ruger companysent me a new pistol as a free replacement. they sent it to cabbellas. i went to get it and did not pass the back ground check. i have filled an apeal with cbi instacheck unit. i am afraid i am not going to get my fire arm back. the reason i think that it was denied was because i got a bad conduct discharge in 1968. i have been in no trouble since then. what can i do?
JA: The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no ihave not and i dont know if i can afford to.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: nothing that iknow of or remember
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It is very likely that the reason for the denial was the military discharge. Under federal law one of the basis for denial is under 18 U.S.C. §922 (g) (6) Pertaining to the applicant having been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.

However, you can Appeal the denial. You must do so in writing and within 90 days of the denial. You appeal by sending your appeal to:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
NICS Section
Appeal Services Team, Module A-1
Post Office Box 4278
Clarksburg, WV###-##-####br />Facsimile:(###) ###-####br />On-line: <>

You must include the the following information along with your appeal request:
(1) Complete Name
(2) Complete Mailing Address
(3) NICS Transaction Number (NTN) or
State Transaction Number (STN)

If your Appeal is denied you can than seek review of the Appeal in federal Court. Appeals of agency denials to federal court are complicated, so you would want to consult an attorney for that process.

This organization may be helpful to you in finding such an attorney:

You may wish to check out their site before you file your initial appeal.

Most Attorneys will discuss your situation at little or no cost:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,