Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I want to know if anything can be done with this, I had 3

Customer Question
Hi I want to know...
Hi I want to know if anything can be done with this , I had 3 birds and now they are dead if you have birds DO NOT USE IT. I hope this helps someone to not go through the heartache I am going through right now. My vet says silicone and teflon kill quickly and around 100% of the time. I don't want to trash the product but it should contain a warning to NOT USE if you have birds and small pets.I got this oven liner from the Christmas tree shop it's called Elite line Non -Stick Oven Liner said ok for a gas oven just don't cover the holes I did not cover them or obstruct anything .. BUT I think It should only be used in electric ovens not gas they are to hot on the bottom because it burned when I looked at it and the fumes from that thing killed my birds I want something done about this can something be done . I did call the fire dept when I saw the birds I thought it was a gas thing but they found nothing I thought of the liner after they left .I hope you can help me
Pat Russes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/22/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, if a product fails to provide adequate warning about safety hazards around pets, then under product liability law they are liable for damages caused by using the product in the manner directed that caused harm due to the inadequate warning. Unfortunately, under the law, pets are considered property, so legally all you could recover from the company for the inadequate warning would be the cost of the birds if you make a legal claim against them.
You need to start by sending a letter to the company complaining about their inadequate warning and demanding compensation for the loss of your birds. If they refuse to compensate you, then you could sue them in small claims court under product liability law for the loss to the birds.
In addition you can file a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (http://www.cpsc.gov/) who can force them to change their warning on their product to warn about harm to animals from use.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer