How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired and living on a fixed income. I was talked into

Customer Question

I am retired and living on a fixed income. I was talked into cosigning for a car because children were involved I didn't receive any paper work on the financing of the car and nw the finance company keeps calling me because the person with the car is not making the payments. I have very good credit and would like to keep it but they are saying I have no rights about getting off the contract I have no contact with the person who has the car so she won't even talk to me I would like to know if there is anything I can do to get my name off the car JustAnswer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, no. There is no way to force them to let you off of the loan other than a bankruptcy which will, of course, ruin your credit. by co-signing the car you placed yourself in the same situation as the borrower in the even they failed to pay.

What you can do to protect your credit is to make the payments and then hire a lawyer to get an order from a judge to seize the car and have it sold to apply that amount to the note and, hopefully, pay it off.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions