Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm a 20 year old college student and I'm a victim…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm a 20 year...
Hello, I'm a 20 year old college student and I'm a victim of identity theft. I have something on my credit report from the identity theft issue which is causing me problems. How can I resolve this issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
3/17/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your identity theft situation. You need to dispute that item with the three credit bureaus to get it removed. There are many websites with the exact process to do it. Google "dispute credit report form" or something like that. The credit bureaus all have online forms and quite clear instructions. In case you didn't know, the three bureaus are Transunion, Equifax, and Experian. You should also file an identify theft report with each of them which is plainly visible from each other their websites. Does that make sense?

Is filing a dispute the only way I can resolve this issue? I've tried applying for three different credit cards and I've been denied every last one. The identity theft is the only thing I have on my record. Is there any other suggestions where I can build credit while having that on my file?

Filing a dispute is the only way to get it off your credit report yes. Or contacting the company reporting it and working it out with them and then they can remove the reporting. It can be difficult to build credit. One way is to get a secured credit card. This is where you put down the money for your limit. So if you get a $500 limit card you would give them $500 and that would be your limit, usually after a year they convert it to an unsecured card and you get your $500 back or you can just use it to pay down any balance.

Thank you for your question. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer so that it may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! -Rich

I tried a secured credit card and I was dnied for it.

That is very strange since it is secured. It is certainly a chicken and egg problem. You need to get those bad items off your credit report then try again.