How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6806
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney offered services flat fee which was paid up

Customer Question

My attorney offered services for a flat fee which was paid up front. This was a verbal agreement and nothing was signed by me or the attorney. Now that the matter is resolved he is sending me a statement with a "new" revised flat fee for an additional $2000. This is the first I've heard of the new fee. Does he have any legal standing for this new charge?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any evidence of the original flat fee, such as an email or receipt marked "paid in full"?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Nothing is written.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

An oral fee agreement is enforceable, but it is more difficult to to prove the terms.

You can demand the attorney comply with the flat fee agreemet and, if refused, you can file a disciplinary compliant with the state bar.