Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Just two hours ago we sent in a contract wedding venue and

Customer Question

Just two hours ago we sent in a contract for a wedding venue and want to know if it would be possible to cancel
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The contract was for having a wedding receprtion at the Loose Mansion and we sent in check for 4000 dollars that has not been processed yet
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the law, when you enter into a contractual agreement that agreement is binding from the minute it is signed, unless the contract states otherwise. There is no 3 day right of rescission or buyer's remorse for this type of contract, that is for unsolicited door to door type sales. So if you signed this contract and sent them the check, it is up to the business now to agree or not to cancel the agreement. If you seek to engage in self help by stopping payment on the check, the business can actually file charges with the DA for issuing bad checks, as the law does not allow self help in these contract disputes.
Thus, you need to read the contract about cancellation provisions and also you need to call them if there is no cancellation provision in the contract and negotiate an agreement with them immediately to cancel the agreement and return your check to you. If they refuse to cancel or demand you pay some penalty, absent any provision in the contract to the contrary, you would be in breach of contract and they could choose to do so.