Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Having a problem with Frontier Communications, They want to…

Customer Question
Having a problem with Frontier...
Having a problem with Frontier Communications, They want to charge us an early termination fee of $1215.86. This fee is on a seasonal ( 5 mo. operation) business line that for 27 yrs we have turned on the service on approx. May 1st.-- and put on vacation or turned off by Oct 1st. Their representatives told us our plan was able to be put on vacation while we were closed. No one ever told us anyting different than that. Our business operation history with them shows we have done the same thing for 27 yrs . At the end of this season when we called to put it on vacation (with call forwarding as always) No one said anything about having to pay early term fees. We have never and would never agree to a plan we couldn't turn off or put on vacation for the 7 months we are closed. Please advise we could use the help (This is a small seasonal senior R.V.Park Thank you Sincerely ***** ***** Judy Bertoluzza
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they never changed your contract to one that could not be put on hold while you were closed then they are in breach of contract. Unfortunately, if they are insisting on the termination fee, even though you are putting the account on hold, then your next step is filing suit against them for breach of contract and ask the court to order them to either honor your agreement or be found in breach, which allows you to terminate the contract completely without any penalty fees and would then allow you to go and get a new company instead of them.
Start by sending them a letter informing them they are in breach of contract and you have been under this contract for years and that failure to honor the agreement would result in you suing them for breach of the contract. If they still refuse, you would need to file your suit against them.